Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fireplace...


So, another job that I thought was going to take maybe 2 days has turned into a larger project.

Our old coal fireplace needed to have the mantel painted to match the rest of trim in the living room. I started to sand the fireplace and much to my shock I was able to peel an entire layer of paint off in one sheet.

So I started to work away at peeling off all of the paint. It seems that the original fireplace was stained wood, then with a layer of yellowish high-gloss paint followed by the current white paint.

Here are some pictures of the fireplace before I started work and my progression. I used a simple steel putty knife - I just had to be careful not to cut the wood.

I think my plan of attack is going to be:
1. Sand
2. Prime
3. Fill and Sand
4. Paint
5. Final Coat

(The picture quality isn't the best - they were taken with my cell phone camera)












Here it is after the first coat of primmer. Next up is filling and sanding.













Here it is after it's been filled and sanded.













And the final product! It looks pretty good - much nicer than before. Hopefully soon we will get some marble to replace the tiles and re-tile the floor area.

No comments: