Monday, November 17, 2008

Updating the Fireplace: Part I

We decided to update the look of the fireplace while still keeping with the overall look of the house. First the red tiles on the hearth area were cracked and grout was coming out.

So over the span of an hour I pulled up all of the tile and cleaned up the area. We decided to put down tumbled stone 2x2 tiles. They came in a 1 sq. foot section held together by mesh - a pretty neat solution.

It took me 5 -6 hours to lay out and cut the tile as needed. Luckily the tile is very soft and I was able to use my hacksaw to make the cuts I needed.

I then used the tile cement and laid them down. Since they are porous tiles I will have to seal them first before we grout them. It will take 3 coats of sealant and then a day of drying. We have chosen a grout color called "Bone" which should nicely match the tiles.

I always have a hard time with drastic change so it will take me a bit to get used to these but I overall like how they look and I think once they are grouted they will look even better.

Before and After....


No comments: