Thursday, November 20, 2008

Updating the Fireplace: Part II

The fireplace work is pretty much done. After I laid the tiles I let them set for 2 days and then applied 3 coats for tile sealer. Since these tiles are actually natural stone I had to seal them to prevent the grout from leaking into the stone.

After the tiles were seal I used sanded Bone color grout. I only used half of the bag (1.7kg) which ended up being the perfect amount. I decided to tape around the fireplace but that wasn't a great idea and I wouldn't do it again since when I pulled the tape off it brought up some grout. However, it was easily fixed.

The only thing I have to do now is to attach the old surround back on which I will do tonight. In 3 more days I will seal the tiles and grout to make sure that all stains won't leave a mark.

Overall, a fun project that really changes the look of the room. Below are a couple of pictures with the tile grouted.
















No comments: